Thursday, January 3, 2013

Top 5 films of 2012 according to me!

I'm not even going to pretend there were 10 films I loved in 2012. So here are five films that impacted me and will ultimately end up in my collection. I also want to point out that with the exception of one film (Lincoln), the remainder were written or co-written by the director--this seems to be a common thread in the films I enjoy. 


5. Lincoln


Stephen Spielberg is nearing his 70th year on this earth. This is both maddening and exhilaration to me. He is no longer at the point in his life where he wants to challenge his viewer or to prove anything to anyone. He's confident in his ability to deliver good films quickly and efficiently with minimal fluff. He acknowledges that life is too short to spend too long on a film. With that said, he's still putting out films that continue to gain my respect and awe. One of the few superstar directors that has aged well in terms of retaining his craft (Lumet and Scorsese also come to mind). With that said, Daniel Day Lewis is as legit as Lincoln could get. Method actor in action. This film is both slow paced, thought provoking, a bit too preachy (and musically overdone) at times, and hilarious when it needs to be. It's worth your time. 


4. Dark Knight Rises



A lot of people are torn on the final film in the Dark Knight series by Chris Nolan and brother. I'm  the first to admit that it has its faults. Regardless of those faults, it took something as unrealistic as Batman and turn that universe into one you can believe in. Ultimately, closing out a complex and gritty trilogy like this is going to have some issues and this one had a few stumbles (a bit too camp in some spots and a few loopholes). Regardless, Nolan delivered a great film that's a great balance of pop and retains the indie visual flair he's known for (thanks to his longtime cinematographer Wally Pfister). I can't think of any director that's tackled a trilogy of this kind and concluded it better. It belongs in your library. Now, it's time for Nolan to go back to something smaller and more personal. I'll be here waiting. 

3. The Master


Paul Thomas (P.T.) Anderson isn't one to shy away or compromise from anything. I agree that Boogie Nights and Magnolia are all great films, but it was with There Will Be Blood and The Master where I truly became a believer. Something about his craft has evolved to a point where not an ounce of him is trying to win the audience over. These films were made in his mind and ultimately, if everyone leaves the theater because the material is offensive or uninteresting, he doesn't care. I find this so alluring. A man who lives in his mind and has people pay to bring that experience to reality--lucky man. Joaquin Phoenix is flawless in his role and challenges the like of Daniel Day Lewis for the method acting award. If you don't cringe, smile, and feel uncomfortable during his performance, you're probably dead inside. This will be the second P.T. film added to my collection--I get a lot of hate for not owning them all, but I like to stay true to myself. Worth your time. 

2. Django Unchained


Tarantino is another director/writer that rarely compromises, but his influences are perfectly placed in the middle ground where art and pop culture meet. It's fair to say that not a moment in Django is portrayed accurately based on the timeline and social issues it collides with--that's not the point. Tarantino mixes in music from all eras with dialog that would have never been spoken during that time to deliver an experience that really felt new to me. I was laughing and cringing in equal measure. I also think this one has some of the best writing out of all his films. Jamie Foxx is stellar and believable. DiCaprio plays his first villain (as far as I know) and he played it like he's got something to prove--I'm a believer. Great stuff!

1. Moonrise Kingdom 



All my friends are probably rolling their eyes by this point since I'm an overly proclaimed (mostly by myself) Wes Anderson fan. I'm an equally large Nolan fan and for me to place his work at #4 on this list, I think it should speak to the quality of this film. Wes has figured out that perfect balance of keeping things quirky and visually dreamy while delivering dialog and chemistry that can win over even a casual moviegoer. This is definitely an achievement.

Okay, I'm done. Thanks for reading my rants. 


No comments:

Post a Comment