Wednesday, December 25, 2013

The Top 10 Albums of 2013 (According To Me)

An excellent year for music. Keep in mind, I'm including EPs in my list. 


10. Dopplereffekt - Tetrahymena (EP)



Lurid, dark, and to the point. I've gone back to this EP a lot this year.  If you enjoy the darker electronic sounds with a German influence -- this is it. 

9.  Om Unit - Threads (LP)



Equal measures soundscapes, hip hop, drum and bass, and trance. Effortlessly showcasing his influences and interest in avoiding being pigeonholed. A lovingly crafted album with a repeat-friendly formula.  


8.  Tim Hecker - Virgins (LP)



Yet again, Tim Hecker manages to assault my sense with brilliant melancholia. Part of my writing ritual this year. Inspirational, moody, dark, conflicted, and uncompromising. 


7.  Sepalcure - Make You (EP)




To me, there's no agenda here. A couple of dudes creating a lovely instrumental adventure in making music you love and keeping it genuine. 

6.  Benjamin Damage - Heliosphere (LP)



One of my top underrated release of the year. Each track asks for you to listen again. Something driving, but don't call it 'techno' -- it delivers more than that, but still makes you want to move. 

5.  Atoms for Peace - Amok (LP)



This album is probably on a lot of lists and for good reason. Nearly flawlessly production and enthusiasm went into this one. One of my favorite releases with Yorke and Godrich. 


 4.  Moderat - II (Import) (LP)



I mentioned 'Import' because one of my fave tracks on it (above) was never included on the standard release. I never expected another Moderat album to happen, but it did. I certainly didn't expect it to outdo their last one (which stands out more than both acts' albums to me). So yeah, to me, this is the best thing both Apparat and Modeselektor have made. I've listened to it far too many times than I'm willing to admit. 




I adored the first Bibio album. I really liked the second album. I absolutely worship this one. The most consistent and thought-out release by him yet. Every track is excellent -- zero filler.  

 

2. Burial - Rival Dealer (EP)



This guy just keeps blowing my mind. So much stuff happening here and it comes across so natural and effortless. At times brutal/industrial and at other times soothing and full of compassion -- this tribute to the lonely and abused wins across the board. The yearly Burial EPs have become one of those things I eagerly anticipate and this EP stands head above most releases out there.


Every single year that passed, I would lose a little more hope that another BoC album would happen. So finally a new album is announced and my expectations were staggeringly high. Nearly a year after its release and I'm happy to say this is as good as their past legends. Timeless tracks that continue to grow on me. So after 25+ listens, I can comfortably admit, it's my personal best of 2013. 




No comments:

Post a Comment