Friday, December 9, 2011

The top 10 albums of 2011 according to me

Okay, this year has decided to go by at massive speed. Didn't we just celebrate the new year together? Well, it's time to share the albums that have really resounded with me in 2011. Each album is fantastic as a complete package (most, if not all tracks)--can't lead my friend astray now, could I?

Some of you probably agree and appreciate my view/taste pertaining to music. To those, I think you'll be very happy with these gems.



10. Gus Gus - Arabian Horse

This album came out of nowhere--on Michael Mayer's lovely Berlin-based Kompakt label too. Imagine dark hypnotic rhythms, meticulously structured ambiance and themes surrounded by very soulful vocals. Mixing dark music and vibrant vocals. It almost sounds like it shouldn't work, but it does--damn well in fact.  Each repeat listen results in this one deserving a spot in the top 10 for this year.  


9. Hammock - Chasing After Shadows...

I want you to play the below song. Raise the volume. Let it seep in. The full album title is actually Chasing After Shadows...Living With The Ghosts. What an appropriate title. In 2011, I ranked roughly 59 listens to this beautiful release (thanks iTunes). Whether I'm working, reading, or prepping to lay on my face--this album will always stay in my collection. Haunting melodies and tones that deftly trigger memories. Highly recommended by me. 




8. Apparat - The Devil's Walk

I will warn you, this album is not a light-hearted romp. It's a big labor of love from Sascha Ring (Apparat) and shows a big jump in maturity for his already beautiful and thoughtful sound. Take a listen/look at the below song (directed by none other than Saman Keshavarz) and believe. The whole release resonates with this rich tone. It's a timeless one. 




7. Tycho - Dive

Scott Hansen grew up in little Sacramento, but eventually ended up in San Francisco and that ultimately, at least in my opinion, really led to his sound growing leaps and bounds. A youthful and extremely uplifting sound with strong use of strings. There's something that resonates with Tycho's sound. Every track on this album is gorgeous and full of vibrant energy. Check it out.



6. M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming 

Anthony Gonzales puts out his most flamboyant and boisterous album--a double-CD in fact. Not a single track on this 20+ track release disappoints. At points you will hear the instrumental qualities from his Digital Shades release and at other times, you will hear a brand new voice and sound--something that needed to happen. The man moved from France to America and I think that alone has made a big change to the sound. No brainer--get this if you haven't. 


5. Sound of Arrows - Sound of Arrows 

The part of you that loves Pet Shop Boys, Abba, and Erasure has been craving this album. One of those albums that has me singing along in the most flamboyant fashion and not giving a damn about it. The whole thing is Scandinavian magic. Partake of this please.   


4. New Look - New Look  

Aside from the fact that they put on a great live show (and that I'm mildly smitten with the singer), this album really caught me off guard. A really fun album. Catchy, simple, melodic--feels good. That's all I have to say about that. Listen!



3. Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica  

This young man is the new Boards of Canada for me in a lot of ways. Uses sounds that are initially strange and don't seem to play well with each other and then after a few listens--it becomes flawless. Like it was all planned to come together, but only after your brain is ready to consume it and make it work.

Check out this awesome presentation of the album--a sense of nerd humor helps:


2. Kuedo - Severant 

If you have ever heard of Vangelis--this will make sense. Even if you haven't, know that Vangelis composed the Blade Runner soundtrack and the sound he made during that period exemplifies some of the best electronic music ever made. This album by Kuedo is a modern-day homage to that sound. The whole release is brilliant and is a must-own for any self respecting electronic music fan. 


1. Balam Acab - Wander/Wonder 

This is it--my number one of the year. Some of you might be scratching your heads here, but trust me. No other album this year has grown on me the way this has. So quiet, so layered, so full of life. For some kid to come along and just blow my mind like this--it's rare.

I ask that you raise the volume and let this one play to the end. 





As a bonus--the amazing remix Balam Acab did for Lana Del Rey.




Thanks for making this such a lovely year my friends. Let's make 2012 an equally fantastic year.

Love,

Me

1 comment:

  1. I came, I read, watched listened & judged.

    Not too shabby, stranger.

    ReplyDelete